When Dyer County was opened for settlement, the future site of our county seat was nothing more than a wood-covered bluff owned by the McIver family. Dyer County was established on October 16, 1823, from the Western District of Tennessee and was named in honor of Col. Robert Henry Dyer.
The first term of the Dyer Circuit Court convened at John Warren's two-room, dirt-floor frontier cabin with a dogtrot running between the rooms at Stokes in November 1824, with Judge William Mitchell presiding. Mark Mitchell was clerk and Griffith Rutherford was sheriff. Magistrates of the first court were John Rutherford (chariman), Benjamin Porter, John D. Burrus, William Lyrell, and Dr. Thomas Nash (clerk).
This image is a Dyersburg city map as the town was originally laid out. Elias Dement owned lots 21, 29, 30, and 53. Lot 29 is believed to be the site of the log cabin where court was first held within the city limits of Dyersburg in 1826.